This recipe uses two of the greatest complements of collard greens: beans and vinegar. ( Great northern beans can be substituted for cannellini beans ). See the -> Collard Greens and complements <- post for more info
- 3 slices bacon, coarsely chopped
- 1 red onion, sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed (15 oz)
- 5 cups collard greens, stems and center ribs removed and leaves chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- In a large, deep pan with a lid brown bacon over medium-high heat, about 9-10 minutes, set bacon aside.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cook the sliced onion in the bacon fat until it starts to brown, around 6-8 minutes. Take care to scrape the bits off the bottom (flavor!). Add garlic, cook for three more minutes.
- Return the bacon to the pan, stir in the collards, and keep stirring until the collards are wilted.
- Pour in enough water to almost cover the collards and stir in vinegar, red pepper, and brown sugar. Simmer until the collards are tender, between one to two hours.
- About 30 minutes before serving, stir in the cannellini beans and return to a simmer.